Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Two articles on Angola

From artist John Keane's artwork on children in combat done for Christian Aid


The first is actually a slide show from the BBC News website. Christian Aid, a UK NGO commissioned the artist John Keane to do a series of artwork on Angolan children and the war. The Christian Aid website has a nice write-up about the exhibition- I highly recommend taking a look- this is the type of stuff I see in my work, not oil riches or a booming economy. Or if you happen to be in the UK, take a look for yourself. According to the website:
Children in Conflict will run until 16 February 2008 in the new contemporary
£6.7 million extension at Wolverhampton Art Gallery, which opened this spring,
and will tour the UK in 2008.

The second article is one from the Economist on the future of Angola's oil reserves. According to the Economist:
Angola continues to post strong growth rates, thanks to the booming oil sector.
However, the industry is going to start shrinking from 2010 according to
government figures, and it is far from clear that Luanda has an alternative
growth strategy.

And you know if that's according to government figures, it's probably sooner than 2010! It doesn't paint a pretty picture.

3 comments:

Sir Chancelot said...

Ahem . . . I believe these are the two articles I sent you? You gotta gimmie props! Do not disrespect Sir Chancelot! Thank you.

Leslie said...

Sir Cryalot- I read the BBC website, too, you know! I'll give you credit for the Economist one, only because I get my Economists about 2 weeks late!

Sir Chancelot said...

Boo on you!