Thursday, September 25, 2008

I'm not making this up

I get a free newspaper delivered to my door every day. It's a little annoying because there's no newpaper recycling here, and I feel bad throwing all this junk away. I am a fan of the social pages, however, and am always interested to see what the elite of the DR are up to.

I was shocked when I saw the headline below. It doesn't really need a translation, but... yes, it says, "Babies with Sex Appeal."

Babies.

The "article" is all about how Huggies is launching this fancy new diaper that is made to look like it is denim. Because all the babies are clamoring for diapers that show off their figures and make them look sexy. Again, we are talking about children so young they still need diapers.

This isn't the first time I've heard of way-too-adult vocabulary to describe young children. An American friend here took her 2 year old daughter to the dentist, who told the baby to smmile and look "sexy."


2 comments:

Jenny Brazil said...

I find that extremely disturbing! What are people thinking when they try to sexualize a child? It drives me mad!!

Shannon said...

WOW. Just Wow.