Thursday, April 10, 2008

It's Official: Tchau Angola!



As some of you might already know, I am leaving Angola on 19 April. I applied for a job with my organization's office in the Dominican Republic and was lucky enough to be chosen for the position.


I'll have a similar position there: I'll manage a portfolio of projects covering HIV/AIDS, education and peacebuilding. I'll also be managing our emergency response to natural disasters, which will be different and exciting. But the most exciting thing of all is that the majority of my projects will be in Jamaica, so I'll have to travel there frequently. I know, I know, I lead a rough life.


I have mixed feelings about leaving. Overall, I must say that I am thrilled to be moving onwards and upwards. The move will be good for my career and good for me personally. Latin America has always been my region of interest, so I'll be getting back to an area I love. I've never been to the DR before, so it's a great opportunity.


I will say that in spite of the tremendous challenges I've faced here, I will miss Angola in many ways. To leave on a positive note, I'll try and address them over the next few days. One of the things I'll miss the most, of course, is my cat, Willie. He's been a great companion to me and there have been many a weekend when he is the only living being I talk to! I had hoped to bring him with me, but with all the traveling I'll be doing it's not really a good idea. Luckily, my colleague has offered to take him and give him a loving home.

2 comments:

Sir Chancelot said...

So are you going straight to the DR from Angola, or home first? You need to tell us. We're your family.
Also, don't get too excited about Jamaica. It's a rough place. You should talk to Nancy Judd Towers about it.

Leslie said...

Excuse me, "Sir Chancelot" if my family bothered to ask me these things, I'd be happy to answer them. I seem to rember telling you that I was going directly to the and can show you the email excahnge to prove it. Don't try to call me out on the internet. Also, don't be a Debbie Downer. I'll remember that when you want to come and visit. try and be positive instead of bringing me down.