Thursday, June 14, 2007

Nothing a little Ciprofloxacin can't cure...

The scene of the crime

A few weeks ago, I noticed that the dozens of water bottles I use to store boiled, filtered drinking water were full every single say, no matter how much water was in the filter and no matter how much I had drunk the day before. I had left it up to Juliana, my maid, to boil and filter the water. When she started working for me around 8 months ago, I made it abundantly clear that this one thing she had to be very careful with. I gave her instructions, showed her hot to do it and she assured me that she knew how to do it. And she did do it, for several months. When I moved into my new apartment, I inherited sever 1.5 L water bottles. I told Juliana to continue to do the same thing for the water.

When I first noticed that the water bottles were strangely full all the time, I asked her if she had continued to boil and filter the water she was putting in them. She said she was, and she continued to leave a pot full of boiled water ready to put in the filter every day, so I had little reason to doubt her. Little reason, until two weeks ago when I noticed the brown bits of gunk accumulating at the bottom of the bottles. And then I noticed that the water tasted rather dirty. So I asked her again. “Oh no, mana, that’s water from the tap.”

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! My worst nightmare! Upon investigating, I found out she had been putting tap water straight in there for quite some time, at least a month and a half. When I asked why she had stopped, she claimed I never told her to boil and filter water. What?

Four days later, I came down with typhoid. AGAIN. This time was much worse, and I was forced to take 3 days off of work. Feeling better but not 100%.

1 comment:

Lynette Ritland Bond said...

oh Leslie...maybe some gifiti will help you feel better! so sorry to hear about the water situation. oye vay!